Operations & People Manager - UJS
- Location: London, NW1
- Sector: Community
- Salary: £28,000 - £35,000 commensurate with experience
UJS are looking to recruit a dynamic and focused individual to support and empower the sabbatical team, provide an operational backbone across the organisation, and help drive the future of UJS.
The role is part of our small but effective permanent staff team, providing long term and experienced support for the UJS President and Sabbatical team each year. Working closely with the CEO and as a member of the senior team, the Operations & People Manager role is integral to the smooth running of most aspects of the organisation.
Purpose – to support and empower the Sabbatical team, local J-Socs and students
• Support the President/sabbatical team plan and execute their year plan; monitor/report performance
thereon, and provide oversight and guidance where appropriate
• Line management responsibility for members of the sabbatical team
• Work closely with Sabbatical team to identify the needs of students and generate ideas, programmes,
materials or support as required
• Work with the Sabbatical team on matters of personal and professional development, ensuring UJS is
providing the best and most appropriate training to each person, for each role.
• Responsible for HR systems, processes and practices across the organisation, e.g. induction, contracts etc.
• Logistics management of significant student lead projects, e.g. Summit, Conference, Student awards,
Freshers packs etc.
• Responsible for the recruitment of the sabbatical staff annually, working alongside the incoming President.
• Support and manage the effective transition between sabbatical teams, including handover, induction and
co-ordination of long-term programmes and initiatives
• Manage and co-ordinate all issues relating to UJS managed properties, i.e. Hillel Houses and J-Soc spaces
• Manage the UJS/AJA Welfare grants programme
• Provide support to all team members as needed, especially in peak times
UJS is looking for an individual who can show some knowledge/experience of working or volunteering in the Jewish community, and a passion for enhancing the Jewish lives of students, through Jewish education, cultural
programming, Israel engagement and leadership development.
The successful individual will have an awareness of the issues impacting Jewish students on campus, and the ability to work within a team to think of creative and engaging solutions.
A significant part of this role is the recruitment, supervision and development of the Sabbatical Team at UJS,
working hard to ensure that each of them build and grow to provide exceptional support to Jewish students and
societies, and to go on to great success in their own careers.
UJS is a busy organisation, working on multiple projects and challenges at the same time. The person we are
seeking is very organised and able to juggle multiple tasks and projects at once, whilst maintaining a clear outlook
on what is coming round the corner.
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Project management experience
- Exceptional organisation skills
- Ability to stay calm in difficult situations
- Solution focused when faced with challenges
- Excellent time management skills
- Willingness to learn on the job
- Ability to recognise risks, problems or challenges before a project goes “live”
- Ability to work with new-starters and support their development
- Prior involvement with UJS
- Personal experience at University
- Working knowledge of the Jewish community
- Experience in supporting and/or developing programmes for young people
- Willingness to work out of hours when occasionally necessary
- Experience with HR systems and processes
- Experience managing contracts and external service providers
For more information and to apply please contact email@example.com