The Art to Virtual Networking6th April 2020
From Employment Adviser, Melanie Pearl
It might not seem like the best time to network – but with more people working from home and connected to their PCs than ever before, it could be easier than ever to build new relationships. Here are a few top tips:
- Create or update your LinkedIn profile – LinkedIn is the business person’s way of connecting with others and right now people have more time than ever to check out your profile. The sections that are most likely to get read are your Headline and About sections so make sure they say enough about you and add a suitable photo.
- Make connections – connect with people you know, from family and friends to former colleagues and customers, people are generally very happy to reconnect. Don’t be afraid to ask your connections for introductions.
- Make it personal – include a personal LinkedIn message rather than throwing away a potential opportunity.
- Meet virtually – people are spending less time travelling so have more time right now and may be more open to meeting via a video link. You will get their full attention face-to-face, some useful information and maybe some helpful new connections as well.
- Build connections – get to know people before telling them about yourself and asking for what you want. Find out about them, and give before you receive whether it’s a helpful article or some information you have to share. Be interested before being interesting!