5 Minutes with our new CEO – Debbie Sheldon6th September 2017
- Describe yourself in 3 words
Determined (some might say stubborn) have high expectations (of myself as well as of others) and compassionate
- The most surprising thing that happened to me was…
Training as a primary school teacher and finding myself as CEO of a fabulous charity. The heart of it is the same though – ensuring everyone has the chance to reach their potential.
- What is the most important piece of advice you can give to someone who is thinking of starting their own business?
You have to persevere and not be discouraged. Be realistic and listen to advice but above all follow your passion.
- A common misperception of me is…
The duck analogy – people only see above the water where things are calmly bobbing along. They don’t see the mad kicking below the surface to juggle and keep things afloat!
- Can you tell us something you have learned in the last month, since becoming CEO?
Even the most daunting task can be broken down into bite sized, achievable bits. One bit at a time and you get there.
- How many unread messages are in your inbox right now?
0 if you would have allowed me a fourth option in Q1 I might have included slightly obsessive!!
- A phrase I use far too often is…
“What was I doing?”
- I wish people would take more notice of…
The positive impact they can have on others. Everyone has something positive to give and contribute.
- In another life I’d have been…
Honestly I can’t answer this question. I am very blessed and choose to look forward and not regret anything that has happened. Everything happens for a reason and our past is the building blocks upon which our future is built.
- Where is the worst place you could get stuck?
A lift or train (I don’t like enclosed spaces) with no food (I’m a massive foodie) with a very loud and opinionated person!!!